Monday 21 August 2006

At least Watford lost quietly...

So the first weekend of the Premiership passes us by fairly quietly - unlike the cricket.

The return of the Premiership sees the return of the routines. Sky Sports for results, Match of the Day for goals, Sunday's papers to weep at, league tables to ignore.

So what did I find of interest this weekend? Well, as always the opening day of the season's focus was on the Premiership new boys - Reading, Watford and Sheffield United. That’s when it hit me - we have a season of listening to the inane drivel of Neil Warnock. My god what a plank that man is. Luckily, my remote has a ‘mute’ button, and I am sure that it’s going to get a lot of use this season. I advise you to get familiar with your mute button too…

Maybe there is something about former championship sides, because next it was Reading's turn to irritate. Not only is their chairman magnanimous enough to name the stadium after himself, John Madjeski is now also doing post match interviews.

Ok, sure, it was a great comeback in your first Premiership game. I’ll give you that. Now stay off my screen. You’re a chairman. Go… ‘chair’. And wake Steve Coppell up, please. Thanks.

I don’t know if the above behaviour is normal in the Championship as I don’t like to watch inferior football - but if it is, they are welcome to it.

Which just leaves little old Watford, who weren’t very good and were defeated by a shot from Andy Johnson. His shot was in danger of hitting the corner flag before a deflection from a Watford defender sent it goalwards.

Still, only 37 more games to go.

Talking of which, Tuesday night I am at the Lane to see Spurs versus Sheffield United. I’ll be taking my remote control, hoping it will shut Warnock up. Oh and some eggs. I hope he likes eggs.

Wish me luck.

9 comments:

  1. "Come on - you can't have it both ways." - Correct young Kedge, and over time, you'll get to 'understand' my humour too... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon John Madejski might have some justification in naming the stadium after himself having got his club into the Premiership for the first time! And let's face it, it's got to be better than going to watch a match at 'The Neil Warnock Satdium'...

    I'm also quite a fan of Coppell as well. Admittedly he goes a bit peculiar from time to time as any Man City fan will tell you, but apart from that, I think he's a really good manager and I hope Reading have some success under him.

    Not such a good start for Blackburn, though? Not the sort of thing that Mark Hughes will be pleased to see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a good start for Blackburn, but a good one for my 'red hot tip' - Portsmouth! ;-)

    (You watch them slide down the table now...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, so he's narcissistic... it still doesn't mean we've got a good reason to knock the bloke.

    Wiat a minute - he once dated Cilla Black...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonder if it was a 'Blind Date'?

    It wouldnt 'Suprise Suprise' me if it was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so that's your humour is it. Now I 'understand'!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No wait, it gets better... come back...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris said...

    OK, so he's narcissistic... it still doesn't mean we've got a good reason to knock the bloke.


    Since when does this site need a reason?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a fair point... hey, what the hell - let's REALLY take the p*ss out of this guy! ;-)

    ReplyDelete